Thursday, May 13, 2010

First Swahili Class- May 7th

The glorious sun came out today as we all awoke to the rays of sun bursting amongst the green plants and trees we saw the day before. Everything is so surreal here…I feel as if I am not really here…the scenery is so breath taking and the people are unbelievably friendly. We had papai again for breakfast (kinda slimy but I know its good for me and all a part of the experience.) We also had toast with peanut butter and honey…I could get used to this! We then started the day with the song “What a Friend we have in Jesus” or “Yesu ni Rafiki Yetu”. I have never heard a song sung so joyously and with such great harmony and gusto before. I could hear the pure joy and meaning in their voices! It was so beautiful it almost brought tears to my eyes…I hope they sing that way in heaven because it was unbelievable and that was just one song.

We then had an intense Swahili class from 8:00-12:00 a.m. with one break in between for coffee and tea. We learned everything from pretenses, how to say foods, greetings, and the history behind Tanzania. Swahili actually came from Arabs who came across the Indian Ocean to trade. The African wives helped the Arabs to be a part of “the clan” by marrying and mingling the two cultures. Arabic is considered the original Swahili and can be found in different dialects among the south, west, and east. There are 22 noun groups in Swahili and many of it I find confusing but I am slowly learning. We broke out into groups for another session of Swahili this afternoon for about two more hours. Our teacher’s name was Omega who was a wonderful teacher and had a lot of patience and made me pinky promise that I understood what he was saying because sometimes I lagged behind.

Right after Swahili class we got to see some ketenge (clothes for skirts) from a lady who was selling them. Nicole and I bought one together since they were big enough to share. Following that we went on an adventure to the orphanage. It was probably at least a 3 mile walk through huts below the mountains and alongside the train tracks. I saw many palm trees, people living off the land, and more breathtaking scenery. The walk really opened my eyes to the poverty level and the importance of crops to these people who are carefree (or maybe just more simplistic) in their way of life. We ran into some children who only just wanted a picta (picture) taken. Once we got to the orphanage, there were many little kids running around and who clung to each and every one of us as soon as we arrived. One little girl was especially amused by my watch and its changing numbers when she pressed a button. She also loved the simple things- like me spinning her around and making faces. She was probably about 3 years old, but could repeat my English faster than any Swahili I learned today. They had a few swings in the back of the building as well as a merry-go-round and slide which were good entertainment as well as bubbles and a frisbee that I brought. The language barrier seemed to be a problem since we could only communicate “no.” We also used pointing as an effective was to understand what they wanted as well but wished we knew more Swahili to better understand them. With their big eyes and baggy clothes…nothing could me more loveable then the children who just want to be loved…the children of God. After our walk back we ate supper (hot dogs) and rice for a much needed energy booster. We then all headed back to our rooms for reflection and sleep. Tomorrow starts the trek to the youth prison and cattle market so much sleep is needed.

Jina lango ni Rachel- my name is Rachel

Jina lango si Bob- my name is not Bob

****Note computer is slow and wireless doesn't work so blogs will not appear every day. I will update it as much as I can

No comments:

Post a Comment